Thursday, September 6, 2007

Domesticating the Adoption

After the International adoption is complete it is recommended that the adoption be redone in the U.S. The most notable reason is in the event the child grows up and commits a crime (let's hope not) he/she could be deported as not being 100% U.S. Citizen. There are two sides to this story as when we entered the U.S. through customs/immigration in Chicago the authority there told me for all intents and purposes Akins is now a U.S. citizen. Others including the agency director have advised to readopt in the U.S. Just when you think the nightmare is over it starts again.

It was no cake walk to find an attorney that specializes in this and so here is what I have been told so far. The retainer is $1500.00. The cost will vary depending on how well the Liberian adoption was handled (those of you using the same agency...well I think you know where my head is on that one).

Possibilities -

1)The adoption must first meet OK laws. So if any have changed since my homestudy was complete there could be some more work to do on this part.
2)The next most important aspect is meeting the desire of the specific judge. My attorney will conference with him or her prior to going to court to understand what he/she wants this way the leg work is done ahead of time. That will be a refreshung change.
3)If the judge is not satisfied with the documents from Liberia and specifically because Akins was abandoned and not relinquished by his parents or guardian there may be a stipulation that we will need to run ads in an effort to fine his birth parents. (GREAT :( )
4)I think I am missing a page of the adoption decree so I have emailed the adoption agency director inquiring about this. It seems there should be signatures on it and possibly a notary but that page is not there. Staple marks indicate it once was...
5)All of this may take a few months (Lovely!)
6)Official name change will be requested as part of the adoption - then SS card and U.S. passport can be applied for.
7)Once this is all done then I can file the U.S. citizen documents with the USCIS.
8)We meet tomrrow so more will be revealed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Val,

I knew that this part would be a headache and purposely haven't tried to find any information about it! Ignorance is bliss - at least in the short-term. I hope that it goes more smoothly than expected and look forward to the updates!

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Valerie,
I havent gotten to this stage yet, but it's good info to have for the future.
I didnt realize it required a lawyer until yesterday. For some reason I thought I could fill out the papers and take care of it myself.
Anyway, one step at a time.
Patricia

Anonymous said...

Just to share, my homestudy agency is handling this for us and says we don't even have to go to court. Maybe check with them.
But the thought of more paperwork is a blast isn't it?? I just did a bunch of mine and cna not write my name or address one more time for fear of vomiting!
Sue R.