Sunday, December 23, 2007

Organized religion and faith...

Today I challenged my family and asked them to join me in attending a church function. This to some is like and so? To us it is major step out or perhaps in, that is into the world of organized religion a place I have ventured away from and do not have a great deal of faith in, to me much different then having faith or a belief in a God.

I was not sure what reaction I would get from Lorea when I cast upon her my thoughts around the importance of Akins knowing the church. To me the church did one good thing in my own upbringing, it scared me to good. Meaning it served what appears to be its purpose instilling "fear of God" and the consequences. It was out of that fear that I managed to stay out of trouble or at least as much trouble as I would no doubt have liked to experience. Lorea cringed at the thought of it and was reluctant and I think really would have liked to stay home rather than go. Next was Grandma. When asked if she would like to attend the holiday concert she said "Is Lorea going"? I laughed and said "Why? Power in numbers"? She said "No, I was thinking if she was going then I wouldn't have to". Somewhat reluctantly she agreed to go as well.

Now keep in mind we have not attended any churches in the Tulsa area so we were venturing into complete and foreign grounds. I had spent some time trying to find a church that is suitable to our beliefs and one that would not ridicule the make up of our family. Not the easiest task in the bible belt. After two days of surfing I selected a church that had a Christmas program and figured we could check out the church before having to endure a sermon and the overwhelming quiet of a sanctuary. This church boasts its accepting of all people, despite martial status (Mom divorced check), race (white and black family, check) and sexual orientation (check) okay sounds perfect. I expected it to be small and unintimidating - wrong huge and swarming, lots of hallways, confusion about where to go, but we found the sanctuary swarming and bustling with talk and commotion thankfully loud and not quiet at all as we settled into a pew. Soon the music began and it even contained an African traditional song (despite the fact that Akins was the only black person I saw in the whole place) complete with drums making Akins very happy and a Sarah McLachlan song making Lorea very happy. An hour later we realized Akins had been good, people complimented us on what a beautiful and well mannered child we had and we had survived. Maybe we will even go back, he wants to sing.

No comments: