Sunday, October 21, 2007

Making progress...

Last night Akins finally was starting to show signs of wanting to get up and move around a bit. He was/is still somewhat terrified that things will hurt especially his pee pee, but he is very much his own man and so he wants to do it himself. "I do" he says. He uses me for leverage to lift himself and has finally realized that it hurts less to get up and go to the bathroom then pee everywhere and have it get on all parts that are sore.

Today, as he was walking to the bathroom like a little old man, he was doing a little bit of a dance, his spirit is coming back and that will get him through this sooner rather than later. This morning he came out to the kitchen to have breakfast and then came out again to rescue me from the social worker who I had to forewarn that she was going to see a bit more of Akins that she probably bargained for as he is still not wearing clothes. He was nicely sprawled in the bean bag chair for the introduction to her. We were just about wrapping up out in the kitchen when here he came again and I was getting ready to pay her for her services and he heard me and he says " I want to get my money and give it to the lady". Keep in mind when she first arrived he thought she was yet another doctor and thought about crying until she explained who she was and that she was only coming to talk to me. Now he wants to pay her for me.

Akins panda bear is healing nicely too. :) The doctor had the nurses place a sticker on the bears belly too. Akins noticed a flaw though and pointed out that the bears pee pee did not get surgery. Oops we messed up I forgot to tell her that part too!

Tomorrow I go back to work and am a little concerned as so far I am the only one he will allow to take him to the bathroom or lift him up and down. Lorea may have her hands full. The most amazing part about this whole thing...he has yet to really cry. The closest he has come is when he has gotten scared that it will hurt and this morning when I lightly rinsed him down with a cloth allowing the water to run down his body while standing in the tub. We are so lucky as he could have laid there and cried the whole time. That is what I want to do. Lorea told me I am way more sensitive about all of this stuff.

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Valerie and Lorea:
It sounds like the Home Study went okay even without clothes. Akins now knows you kept your word and didn't leave him at the hospital. You've told him his surgery wounds will get better, and they will. Each time you've told him something of importance you didn't lie to him. He'll begin to trust that what you say is truth. Seeing a small child in pain makes anyone who cares about the child hurt almost as much. If you could take on the pain for him I know you would, but you can't so you can only comfort and console. It will get better with each passing day, hang in there. You give Akins a kiss and hug from his Aunt, Uncle and Cousin. Love you :o)